Tuesday 22 March 2011

Keepers Ruminations



First off apologies for the lateness of the updates. Life as ever has got in the way of this stuff, I never got around to doing the updates until today and I won't be able to post them until tomorrow. The reason for this is that I'm typing this in Lisbon the day after Rosa, the player of Lady Lautrec-De'ath and my long-suffering wife, did the Lisbon half-marathon and I don't expect to have an internet connection until I hit Amsterdam airport sometime tomorrow. On the upside it's gorgeous here and 28 degree weather is a blessing after leaving a freezing Scotland. Anyway back to the game.

After the lack of any real progress in the fourth session it was getting time for things to step up a bit. Of course this was reliant on the players and I was thankful that they seemed to agree. To be honest I wasn't expecting such interest in the caverns when I mentioned them in Finlaysons journal, the yacht club itself seemed to be the main area of interest, but I was hardly going to say no to the expedition and having nothing to find would go against the whole ethos of the campaign. I was a little concerned about Kalabos' player not wanting to participate but it became clear that his focus remained with the club and the character was very wary about delving into weird places. As if anything could possibly happen. In the end it was good to see plans for the yacht club proceeding.

The expedition into the caverns proved fun and a little scary for all concerned. After weeks of investigation and skirting around the edges of the mystery it was good to bring the monsters into the light. I stuck with only one deep one as less is definitely more and I didn't want to start off so big I would have nowhere to go afterwards. One thing that always annoyed me about Chaosiums adventures was the tendency to have shoggoths everywhere and I really didn't want to go down that route. That's not to say that we won't have one of them turn up at some point but not for a while yet. Unless I change my mind of course.

Once again I'm not totally comfortable with the combat system and felt like I was winging it a bit. As mentioned before it's very abstract and felt a bit awkward. On the other hand everybody seemed to enjoy it and it turned out to be nicely dramatic so I can't complain too much. I'll work on having it down properly for the next session.

As to the next session we're on a break for a few weeks. Last week was Paddy's Day so Irish Paul would have been in some dodgy pub drinking hard and though I'm back from Portugal tomorrow Rosa's staying until the end of the week to hang out with her family and the players want everybody there for the yacht club assault. I'm hoping to use the time to post a couple more bits and pieces for the game and hopefully do the Necronomicon stuff through this and the players blog. There will definitely be something else up by the end of the week.

BTW she did the half-marathon in 2hrs 31mins in a 28 degree heat. My girls is so cool and yet so hot.

I mean cool for doing it and hot for the temperature.

And hot in the other way as well of course.

2 comments:

  1. Discovered this blog via Yog-sothoth.com and must say it is an entertaining read. I'm a CoC keeper for a small group who are interested in trying out Trail Of Cthulhu, so it's nice to read about a fellow keeper making the jump from one system to the other.

    Keep up the blog entries, I wanna know how the raid on the Yacht Club is going to fuck up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you're enjoying the blog. It was initially set up as an answer to my last WFRP campaign where I'd sit down with my players and ask them what happened last wee and they'd go 'I dunno' so it's great to know that it's a least vaguely readable outside that.

    As a longtime CoC Keeper I'm thinking of discussing my feelings about changing system soon so I hope my daft ramblings will help.

    As to how tha Yacht Club raid is going to fuck up I'm looking forward to finding out myself. I have a secret love for terrible player plans and the improvisational element makes them all the better.

    Thanks for the kind words. Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete