Wednesday 16 March 2011

Keepers Ruminations



I'm running really late and as I'm off to Portugal in a couple of days I've a few posts to make.

This was an interesting session in that I feel we hit a wall that I'd been waiting for. The combination of investigative play with a freeform style feels like it will inevitably reach a point where the players are unsure what their next step is and the keeper not wanting to push them too much and this week was it. I generally felt we were left with the players still circling the mystery but unable to commit to an approach and me not wanting to push them onto a railroad.

Even then it was far from a bad session. Kalabos was getting more info and setting something up and the moving of the yacht was a clear step forward. Shambles investigations pushed towards the existence of mysterious caverns, perhaps the future burglary might lead to them.

My favourite from this session was Dawson though. We got to play with a few noir tropes and given how I felt it was it was great to push everything along a bit by having a man walk into the room with a gun. It also let me have my first proper look at the combat system which leaves me with mixed feelings. It's incredibly abstract which makes it fast but possibly unsatisfying. Saying that it felt really good for the ploty-led scuffle which occured in the toilet. It's doable at least.

I'll have the precis from the next session up very soon. I'm late but we're having a short break so I have some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment