Thursday 26 May 2011

Keeper Ruminations


So it's been a while but life got in the way in the form of film conventions, music festivals and a trip to Morocco followed by the normal being no well thing associated with flying Ryanair.

I've hit my first major block. The first documents produced a real momentum and there was a temptation to just run with the campaign that they were producing but I promised myself I'd see how things went if I followed the campaigns central conceit. This has led to a certain amount of flailing as my players and I try to decide what happens next.

I decided fairly early on that The American Preservation League would at least be a red herring but as we progressed it seemed like a good idea to bring them in as a possible ally but not one you'd want. From this it was easy to make Jahraus an even sadder little racist than the text showed but show that he has a weird fucked up point. It's sort of playing around with Lovecrafts racism which I believe was the point of the text. This gave us a slightly uncomfortable but quite entertaining session with Martins Kalabos milking the anti-Mexican stuff for all it was worth. Nothing groundbreaking but interesting all the same.

At this point I have to address something that's always confused me about Lovecrafts racism. It was extreme even for his day but I've never got over his hatred of eskimos! I know nowadays PETA may hate them but generally as a racial group I've never seen that much bile directed to them. It's always seemed that eskimos, inuit or other tribes, have always been looked on fondly but Lovecraft really hated them. That's just fucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment